The history of the State Academic Bolshoi Theater of Russia dates back to the 1770s. Initially created as a private theatre Prince Pyotr Urusov, the Bolshoi and Maly theatres were part of the Muscovite Imperial troupe.
The first building, which currently houses the Bolshoi Theater, was built on the right bank of the Neglinka River in Petrovka Street. But the building burned before the opening of the theater. English entrepreneur and theater manager Michael Meddox was commissioned to build a new building.
The new building built in 1856, the one we all know from now on, is one of the greatest architectural masterpieces in Russia. It houses three rooms of incredible beauty, some of which have survived fires, reconstructions and threats of closure.
The historic stage of the Bolshoi Theater was built in 1825 by Osip Bove. After several fires, the main (and historic) hall has lost none of its beauty and its imperial luxury, despite numerous fires and reconstructions.
The Beethoven Concert Hall is recognised as one of the best concert halls in the world. Opened in 1921, the hall was named to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the birth of the greatest German composer Ludwig van Beethoven.
ts interior is sustained in the Louis XV style with silk on the walls, antique Italian stuccoes, crystal chandeliers and Manchurian walnut hardwood flooring. In this room are mainly performed chamber concerts, solo performances and some productions of famous directors, composers and actors.
The construction of the new stage began in 1995 and was completed in 2002. It was officially inaugurated on November 29th with Rimsky-Korsakov's "The Snow Maiden".
During the renovation of the main stage from 2005 to 2011, almost all the repertoire of ballets and operas was presented on this stage. It now hosts many foreign troupes and some representations of famous opera and ballets in addition to the main hall.